Do I Need a Holiday or Business Visa for Australia, How Do I get a Visa for Australia, How Do I Apply for a Visa to Australia, Do I Need to Apply

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need an ETA?
If you intend to travel to Australia as a tourist or business visitor for less than 90 days and hold a passport from one of the eligible countries you will need an approved ETA before travelling.
Am I eligible?
To apply for an ETA online through this website you must have a valid passport from one of the countries below:
Ireland Finland Luxembourg Spain
United Kingdom – British Citizen France Malta Sweden
United Kingdom – British National (Overseas) Germany Monaco Switzerland
Andorra Greece Norway Taiwan*
Austria Hong Kong (SAR of China) The Netherlands United States
Belgium Iceland Portugal Vatican City
Brunei Italy San Marino
Canada Japan Singapore
Denmark Liechtenstein South Korea
*not purport to be an official or diplomatic passport
How to Apply?

To apply for an ETA online you must be outside of Australia at the time of application and your intention must be to travel as a tourist or for business purposes.

You must have your valid passport and an email address in order to complete your application online.

The information you provide in your ETA application online needs to be exactly the same as they appear on your passport. You must apply for your ETA with the passport details that you will travel with. An ETA is electronically linked to your passport details.

If you travel without an ETA or with an invalid ETA you may be refused entry or experience significant delays at the airport.

ETA Conditions

The conditions of travelling on an ETA are:

  • You may enter Australia as many times as you like during the timeframe of 12 months from the date the ETA is granted or until the expiry date of your passport, whichever date is earlier.
  • You may stay in Australia as a visitor for up to three months on each entry.
  • You must not work while you are in Australia. You may partake in business visitor activities (eg. business enquiries, contractual negotiations, and attending conferences).
  • You must not study for more than three months.
  • You must be free from tuberculosis.
  • You must not have any criminal convictions for which you have been sentenced for a total combined period of 12 months or more, whether or not the sentence/s were served.
  • Important: You may not be permitted to enter Australia unless you are in good health and have no criminal convictions. You should note that you must depart Australia before your authorised stay period expires. If you do not, you may be detained and/or removed from Australia. Overstaying may also affect your ability to be granted another Australian visa, including an ETA, in the future. If circumstances arise while you are in Australia that require you to stay longer than the three months permitted by your ETA, you must obtain another visa from an Australian visa office in Australia before the end of the three month stay period.
What is an Electronic Travel Authority?
An Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) gives you authorisation to travel to Australia and is electronically linked to your passport details. It is for short term visits of up to 3 months for either tourism or business purposes.
What do I need to make an application?
To make an application for an ETA online you need your valid passport and an email address.
How long can I stay In Australia with an ETA?
An ETA authorises you to stay in Australia for up to three months per visit.
I would like to go to stay in Australia as a tourist for more than 3 months, can I still apply?
No, you will need to apply for a visa which allows you to stay longer in Australia. For more information visit
Is secure?
Yes, is part of Clubtravel, Ireland’s largest travel agency who are operating for over 40 years. We are a fully licensed and bonded travel agency. Your personal details are treated confidentially and stored in secure environment. Payment protection is provided by SSL technology.
I am not eligible for an ETA, what can I do?
If you are not eligible to apply for an ETA you may be eligible to apply for other types of visitor visas for Australia.
Please see:
Are there any age restrictions to apply for an ETA?
No. Any eligible passport holders can apply for an ETA.
Can I do a group ETA application?
You can apply for multiple applications through but each person will receive their own individual ETA. Even if your children travel on your passport, they will still need their own ETA application. Each applicant must be eligible to apply in their own right.
How long will it take to process my ETA?
In most cases, your ETA will be processed within 48 hours.
What can I do if I make a mistake in my application?
Please ensure that you enter your information very carefully when applying. If you have made an error a new ETA application may be necessary. Please contact us immediately if you notice an error after submitting your application.
Can I cancel my application?
Once an ETA is submitted to immigration it is not possible to cancel it.
What happens if my application is not approved?
If your application is refused you should contact your nearest Australian visa office for other options for visiting Australia.
Please see:
I have a visa for Australia, can I also apply for an ETA?
No, you must contact your nearest Australian visa office to discuss your options. You may need to cancel your visa if you do not intend to use it.